Monday, March 29, 2010

No thanks. Uh, no thanks. Seriously! No thanks.

I ran into the Galleria this afternoon to grab one item. Just one. I didn't even want to go there, but it was unavoidable. To my dismay, I needed to visit what's known as "Kiosk Alley". Truthfully I just made that name up, but it fits well, no?

*Here's a random fact about me: I absolutely despise being approached to buy something. I don't like being "sold" to. I avoided folks passing out fliers or sitting at tables on the Concourse while I went to Auburn. Going to Chinatown in NYC didn't bring me a whole lot of joy. The purse I was assured was a real, genuine Prada did (bought from a black trash bag, I should add), but not the overly enthusiastic sellers of said purses. I don't even like seeing little kids selling things outside of Wal-Mart. I know these people are just trying to get a job done, but I don't want to be a part of it. Trying to sell something to me is a nearly foolproof way to get me to NOT buy it.*

Anyway, what I needed was indeed housed at a kiosk, which I usually avoid like the Plague. I told the girl exactly what I wanted and grabbed my wallet. She asked me if I was interested in such-and-such, and I said no thanks. She then asked if I wanted to see this-and-that. Again, no thanks. She picked up a third item and I replied as politely as I could, "I'd like to buy this one item here, but I know I could find it somewhere else." I'm sure she's on commission and that's a rough way to earn a buck. I really hope she didn't think I was being rude , but that gets under my skin like few other things do.

On my way out to the parking lot, I made an unfortunate decision. I walked by the gentlemen who run the massage chairs. I made eye contact with one man who opened his mouth to try and suck me in for a "healing Asian massage". I'm not afraid to admit that I yanked out my cell phone and pretended I was having an intense conversation as I passed him by. Worked like a charm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments delight me! Thanks for stopping by.