Sunday, May 29, 2011

Popsicles for breakfast

I changed out of my pajamas yesterday just long enough to make a grocery run. A girl's gotta eat, ya know? I had a specific goal in mind: find some popsicle molds and make homemade popsicles. I'd been sifting through dozens of popsicle recipes all day. I was ready to roll.

It's been years since I've made homemade popsicles. I wanted to venture past the Dixie cup and craft stick method. I wanted something a little snazzier. Enter: $3 popsicle molds from Target.

{Not top-of-the-line snazzy, but snazzy enough for this girl.}

To say I was excited about my purchase was an understatement. Giddy would be an accurate description. I love popsicles more than anyone should. I like the idea of making my own and knowing exactly what is in them. I also love not spending excess money, and homemade is far cheaper than storebought. 

I really, really like popsicles. Did you know that? I'm looking into taking most of my meals in popsicle form this summer; I'll keep you posted.

Yogurt Popsicles (recipe adapted from one by Tyler Florence)
3 cups plain yogurt
1 cup fruit
juice from 1/2 lime

Mix everything together in a bowl. Spoon into popsicle molds and freeze. Enjoy!

*I used strawberries and a banana, chopped into tiny little pieces and smushed together a bit. Yum.

*Okay, the plain yogurt needs some work. I like not using flavored yogurt to control the amount of sugar but plain yogurt isn't my most favorite thing on the planet. At all. I added a few splashes of orange juice. The popsicles were really good, but I think my next batch will contain a pinch of sugar or a squirt of honey. You know, just a little somethin' to tone down the taste of the plain yogurt.

*This recipe makes a ton. My mold only makes 4 popsicles at a time, so I have about 1/2 of the mixture sitting in my fridge still waiting to be popsicle-ized. If you don't want lots of them, half this recipe.

*The flavor combinations are endless! I've got all sorts of ideas swirling around in my head. Ready yourself for endless popsicle posts this summer!

{This was breakfast this morning. Good morning, indeed!}

10 comments:

  1. Julie,
    One suggestion is to try agave nectar. Also, I think it makes a difference in the kind of yogurt. Have you tried Greek yogurt? You can get plain non fat or the 2%. A spash of vanilla might also help with the sweetness.
    It all sounds most delicious.
    Hope you have a simply marvelous week of no working and lots of playing.
    Blessings
    ~a

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, so good! Buy yourself a popsicle mold and hop to it :)

    *Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annesta, I've heard of agave nectar but have never tried it. I appreciate the suggestion so much...I'll have to look for it next time I go to the store! Hope you have something to look forward to this week :)

    *Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I just bought a popsicle mold myself last week :) It is summer after all! I can't wait to see you so soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LA, great minds think alike :) Let me know if you stumble upon a delightful recipe...I'm pretty pumped up about popsicles these days! Excited to see you in less than a month...

    Thanks for stopping by, friend!

    *Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. too much fun! we definitely have to make these sometime this summer!!! they are so pretty

    have you tried organic, plain yogurt? it's a little more expensive, but may taste better. i'm a huge fan of organic yogurt, but i've never tried the plain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah Barry, pretty AND tasty! That's my favorite combination :) I actually did use organic plain yogurt for these (I accidentally bought it). I ended up adding a squirt of honey to my next batch, and they're perfect. I don't dislike plain yogurt, I just didn't want my whole popsicle to taste like it, ya know? I'm going to keep experimenting and I'll be sure to keep you posted!

    You should definitely get SS to help you make popsicles this summer. He would LOVE it!

    *Julie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Julie! Thanks for your comment on my blog and your prayers! They mean so much to me.

    AND I too love popsicles! I have these exact molds and LOVE them! I use the same type of recipe and I use agave nectar. I also just pour 100% fruit juice in them sometimes. I think I might just go eat one right now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lisa, I'm so glad I found your blog a while back and have been able to follow your amazing story. You and your husband will continue to be in my prayers!

    HOw funny that we have the exact same molds! I'm definitely going to have to find some agave nectar; you're the second person to bring that up. Thanks for the tip, and have a great weekend!

    *Julie

    ReplyDelete

Comments delight me! Thanks for stopping by.