Sunday, August 22, 2010

ready and waiting

*I'm feeling better. Still not 100%, but much better than I was Thursday night. After sleeping 22 hours over the last two days and providing my drivers license/signature/birth certificate/blood type/SSN/library card/three references/left arm/right leg to buy a dadgum decongestant at the drugstore, I think I may pull through. Hopefully.*

Dear Fall,
Now that summer, for all intents and purposes, is over, I'm ready for you. I don't want to rush you, but I'm excited about your arrival. I love you. You're by far my favorite season. I love you because you're not hot and humid like summer or cold and dreary like winter or pollen-y like spring. I love that you let me wear pants and long sleeves so that I no longer have to advertise what a white girl I truly am. I love that you bring cool breezes and pretty leaves. I love that your favorite colors are red and brown and orange. I like those colors, too. I love you for bringing football season with you (even though it technically starts in summer...we won't go there). I love that you bring me a reason to travel to Auburn nearly every weekend. I love you for bringing me Halloween and Thanksgiving. I love you for giving me an excuse to make pumpkin muffins* and light cinnamon-scented candles. I love that you make me want to be outside all the time and carve pumpkins and go on hayrides. If I could dress you up in a sweater and hold your hand and jump in leaf piles with you, I would. I love that you make me so happy. Can't wait to see you soon!

Your #1 fan and not-so-secret admirer,
Julie
*True story: I was on a waiting list last year for canned pumpkin at Publix. Have you ever heard of such? And did you know that there's a pumpkin shortage? Well, there is. It makes for some desperate times when you have to make pumpkin muffins for that weekend's tailgate and there is. no. pumpkin. to be had. Thankfully, Publix came through and rationed 2 cans for me during an especially desperate time last October. Perhaps I should ask if they've started a new pumpkin waiting list for this fall.
*True story #2: Santa Claus may or may not have put 4 cans of pumpkin in my stocking last Christmas. And it may or may not have been the highlight of my Christmas morning. Yep. True story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments delight me! Thanks for stopping by.