Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Whole30 : Day 10 & 11

Day 10 (7/23):

  • breakfast -- scrambled eggs (2 whole eggs, 1 egg white, red pepper flakes, onion powder) and steamed broccoli
  • lunch -- Avocado Chicken Salad (Super easy and so good! Mix cooked, shredded chicken with two avocados. Add the juice from one lime, and throw in some chopped walnuts. I also put in a bit of olive oil and some red pepper flakes. I think this would be really good with some kind of veggie...maybe chopped bell pepper. Or celery, if you like that sort of thing...I do not.)
  • snack -- Justin's Almond Butter and carrots
  • supper -- green smoothie (water, spinach, flax seeds, avocado half, squeeze of lime juice, leftover almond butter, frozen blueberries, banana) and the last of my leftover green beans
I felt amazing today! Glad to be back in that happy place :) I really think it was lunch that made the difference. I tried to pack as much protein and (good) fat in as possible, and it must've worked! I ate lunch at 12:30 and didn't feel hungry enough for my snack until about 4:30. That's definitely some progress from my previous "full for 30 minutes" routine. Thanks to those who have supplied nutrition advice for me!

The almond butter came in a little squeezable packet, which I bought because I wasn't sure if I'd like it. No sense in buying a whole jar if it's no good! It tasted like sugarless peanut butter, just made with almonds. It'll take some getting used to, but I'm kinda diggin' it! It was so filling with the carrots that I only ate half the packet, so the rest went into my smoothie. 

Day 10 made me happy!

Day 11 (7/24):

  • breakfast -- green smoothie (water, spinach, flax seeds, frozen blueberries, frozen strawberries, frozen banana)
  • lunch -- leftover Avocado Chicken Salad (even better the second day!), 1/4 of a red bell pepper, handful of baby carrots
  • supper -- Sweet Potato Sausage Hash (recipe below)
Today was so good! I can't get over how awesome I've felt these last two days. I had tons of energy and no headaches. Since the whole reason I'm doing this is to get healthier and feel the best I possibly can, this makes me happy! I've also lost five pounds in eleven days. I'm not doing this Whole30 as a diet and a means to lose weight, but that is a welcome side effect :)

I actually didn't even eat a snack today since my lunch was so filling. Plus, I got so busy working in my classroom that by the time I looked at the clock, it was time to go home and fix supper. And I didn't get hungry between lunch and 5:00...VICTORY!!!

Supper was really, really, ridiculously good. I made it up as I went along, and it actually worked really well. Check for the recipe below. Sorry for the less-than-scientific measurements...that's how I roll.

Sweet Potato Sausage Hash
4 small to medium sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
1/2 sweet onion (I may use a whole one next time.)
several stalks of kale, torn or chopped
2 chicken sausages*, sliced

Heat some olive oil in a pan (or even better, a cast iron skillet) on medium-high heat. Throw everything in and cook until potatoes are tender and sausage is brown. This took about 20 minutes for me, stirring every now and then. Taste as you go and season as needed (I used salt, red pepper flakes, onion powder, and cinnamon). Simple, colorful, healthy, tasty. Enjoy! If you try it, let me know what you think!

*The chicken sausages I bought were nitrate-free and all sort of other stuff-free (in order to be Whole30 compliant). There were four in the package and I saved two for another time. Use as many as would float your boat. They were also fully cooked, but make sure to check your package and cook as long as required.

6 comments:

  1. The sweet potato hash sounds really yummy...might have to try that one. Owen loves to eat sausage and that would be a healthy version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds great-way to go! Your celery comment made me die out laughing!!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elizabeth, it was really good. I used to refuse to eat sausage, and I'm glad I've gotten past that sad, dark time :) I'm still not real adventurous when it comes to sausage, but chicken sausage is pretty easy to handle. And healthy, too! If you try it, let me know what you think. Thanks for stopping by, friend!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morgan, thanks for the encouragement! And I'm glad I could make you giggle. It's true...celery makes me very, very unhappy. Ick. I wish I liked it, and I've tried to MAKE myself like it, but it just ain't happening!

    Thanks for leaving me such sweet comments. They make me smile!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sweetness,
    I am so very proud of you. Never for one minute underestimate how hard this is and what a great sacrifice you are making for better health. I encourage you to continue to keep that goal in mind and spend time looking ahead and planning for after the 30 days.Planning is the single most important aspect of any program sucess and learning how to reintegrate foods in a healty, moderation is key. You are young and the habits you make now will keep you from suffering with obesity when you are my age.
    I'm rooting for you and saying a prayer for you everyday!!
    hugs
    ~a

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear A, thank you for your faithful encouragement. You can't possibly know how much it means to me! I used your kind words to get me through those TOUGH early days, and I'm using it now to remind myself that I can DO this. I'm closing in on the halfway point (!) of my journey, and I'm praying I can finish strong! Thanks again for checking in on me and for your friendship. You sure are a keeper!

    Love, Sweetness :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments delight me! Thanks for stopping by.