Monday, September 6, 2010

chili-roasted black eyed peas

Such a fun weekend. God's country (aka Auburn), tailgating, good friends, good food, good game, gorgeous weather, lunch with the fam, a day off of work...doesn't get much better than all that!

I made these for the tailgate this weekend, and thought they turned out really well. Granted, I did burn 1 batch completely beyond recognition (poor little guys), but the non-burned ones ended up being quite tasty. This recipe is somewhat similar to the roasted chickpeas recipe I found this summer.

Chili-Roasted Black Eyed Peas
2 cans black eyed peas, drained and rinsed
3 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
3/4 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
onion powder, to taste

1. Preheat oven to 425.
2. Mix all ingredients together; add seasonings to taste.
3. Transfer to a greased cookie sheet (or two, if needed).
4. Bake 45 minutes, or until crispy. Stir every 1o minutes. (Side note: I stirred as directed and the peas looked great at 30 minutes. By 40 minutes, one whole pan of them was burnt to a crisp. I was most sad and MAY have said something ugly. Next time, I'll probably pull them out of my turbo super powermax oven after 3o minutes.)
5. Store in an airtight container. Best when eaten within one or two days after baking.

I could see these being really good on a salad instead of croutons. Of course, they're also great by the handful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments delight me! Thanks for stopping by.