1. I have 15 more days of summer break. The end of summer/beginning of the school year always bring such a weird mix of emotions for me. I've got all sorts of exciting "teacher" ideas swimming around in my head, but I certainly wouldn't turn down an extra week (or six) of summer break.
2. We're supposed to get some rain today, and that makes me happy. We need it in a large way. I like rainy days, unless it results in inside recess. Then the students start pouting, and their teacher pouts right along with them. I'm outside recess's #1 fan. Those babies need to run!
3. So far, I've read 15 books this summer. And yes, I've kept a list. Nerd.
4. Last fall, I started working on my masters degree. I haven't taken a class since. I just may not want to get my masters, at least right now. There are too many other things I want to do with my life these days. Does this make me unambitious?
5. I've said before that I think I have trouble remembering important, pertinent information because I have so much random junk floating around in my brain. I learned this week that my darling brother has the same issue. He couldn't remember something vital he was trying to tell me (I've already forgotten what it was...no surprise), but he remembered that our family flew on a Southwest Airlines plane when we went on our cruise 12 years ago. We're two peas in a weirdo pod.
6. I have these itty bitty, totally obnoxious, nearly impossible to kill little flying bugs in my kitchen. Gnats? Fruit flies? I have done everything imaginable to get rid of them. I've stopped keeping fruits and veggies on the counter. I've scrubbed my counters, sink, and floor. About 13 times, I've thought they were gone but then they show their nasty little bug faces again. Yesterday, in a moment of total desperation, I turned on the vacuum and ran around with the wand, sucking up as many as I could. And you know what they did? They flew back out of the hose when I turned the vacuum off. They are the current bane of my existence, and I want them dead. Any advice?
7. The Bachelorette comes on tonight, and as much as I don't want to like this show, I look forward to Monday nights. Tonight is the Fantasy Suite dates. I've always had mixed feelings about this stage of the show, and I've wondered before what I would do if I made it to the Fantasy Suite portion of the show. I think I would turn down the offer...no doubt. Would you "forgo your individual room"?
8. I love Wickles. Love, love, love them. They've kind of ruined other storebought pickles for me. I especially love that they're made here in Alabama, in the hometown of my darling friends Kira and Oliver. I once saw a jar of Wickled okra and passed it up, and I've regretted it ever since. I couldn't find it anywhere after that! I discovered a jar at Publix last week and nearly caused a scene. I've been eating Wickled okra like that's my true calling. Who knows? Maybe that is my true calling. (I found, upon further research, that the website calls it "Wicked Okra" and not "Wickled Okra". You know what? I like "Wickled Okra" better, so that's what it shall remain.)
9. On my flight to Texas, we flew through lots of rain and a few thunderstorms. We teach our 5th graders about the types of clouds and what they can tell us about weather, so I snapped some shots out the window to use in my lessons this year. Check out this thunderstorm: